So, I’ve mentioned before that Marietta Edgecombe’s treatment in HP bothers me, and gotten several inbox messages basically asking “Why does it bug you so much?” This answer is probably long-overdue, and like everything I write, will likely be just plain long.
What happened to Marietta again?
Marietta Edgecombe was Cho Chang’s best friend, who Cho cajoled into joining the DA. Marietta’s mother, Madam Edgecombe, worked for the Fudge Ministry, and the knowledge that they were disobeying the Ministry to follow Harry (who Marietta distrusted) eventually got to Marietta, who informed Umbridge about the DA. That allowed the Inquisitorial Squad to break up a DA meeting, capture Harry, and almost force Harry’s expulsion - and it did lead to Dumbledore’s departure from the school.
However, Hermione had jinxed the parchment that DA members had signed when they joined up, and when Marietta broke their code of silence, a jinx came into effect: large purple pustules spelling out “SNEAK” covered Marietta’s face. Those pustules faded a little with time, but permanently disfigured her face: after getting out of the hospital wing, she wears a balaclava for the rest of OotP, and the marks are still vislble even under a thick layer of makeup in HBP.
Marietta is not seen in DH, but in 2007 when JKR was asked about what happened to Marietta and if the scars ever went away, she answered that it faded a little eventually, but still left scars, and punctuated that with “I loathe a traitor!" That implies that Marietta was left permanently scarred by the experience - and not only that, but demonstrates JKR’s explicit approval of the scarring: the perma-scarring is an authorial decision that reflects JKR’s dislike for Marietta and basically holds up the punishment as right and just, something that the author applauds - and that, by extension, we should applaud as well.
JKR and Traitors
I do think that betrayal - particularly betrayal of our heroes - is something that JKR loathes; this may be a part of why Gryffs often try to aggregate Hufflepuff loyalty onto their House traits, because JKR the consummate Gryff values it so highly and deals so harshly with the traitor characters. Characters who are traitors - specifically who betray the heroes of the series - aren’t afforded the sort of moral complexity given to other characters; they’re indelibly marked as bad, not afforded the sympathy given to other complex characters (including those who have betrayed evil characters: Snape is vastly better-developed than Pettigrew, and fandom at large far more sympathetic to the former than the latter.) Pettigrew betrays the Marauders, and is afforded little character development, less real role in the plot, and shunted aside quickly with an unsatisfactory death in DH; Marietta betrays the DA, is permanently scarred, and is generally never afford the sympathy or complexity that she deserves.
So like everyone else I read JK Rowling’s latest snippet on the quidditch world cup and that, combined with burdge's amazing sketches made me want to draw cutesy lovey dovey Teddy Lupin & Victoire Weasley !
I think it’d be rather exciting to meet a pirate.
#pirates of the caribbean was kind of a formative influence #and nothing about these movies so much as her—snarling selfish sea-hungry pirate king #sometimes I rewatch the first movie and laugh to myself about how little it understood her and will; how it tried to convince us #that will was the pirate because he was chasing after her; and pirates are obsessed with treasure #when elizabeth spends the first movie chasing freedom and the next two chasing him; chasing her freedom; chasing war; chasing the world #her wedding was interrupted and she held the man responsible at gunpoint until he gave her letters of pardon #she was mistaken for a sea goddess and accepted it without question; she led an army to war as though it were her due #and she did it all without ever apologizing for the lives she takes or the lies she tells and when she betrays sparrow with a kiss #he hisses ”pirate” because what else could she be
Orange is the New Black + Inmates
Selfies of the Caribbean
This is so important
There is only one worthy goal for scientific exploration: piercing the tissue that separates life from death. Everything else, from the deep bottom of the sea, to the top of the highest mountain on the farthest planet, is i n s i g n i f i c a n t.
Dumbledore is literally the scum between my toes
- LEAVES A 1YO CHILD ON A DOORSTEP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT LIKE ‘OH NVM THEYLL FIND HIM IN THE MORNING LOL’
- knows good and well how the dursleys are abusing and neglecting harry and just LETS THE SITUATION CONTINUE even though we see in the fifth book that he has the power to stop it (the ‘remember my last letter’). he lets harry be LOCKED UP IN A CUPBOARD and abused for ten years both because of the ””protection”’ privet dr has for harry (don’t worry, it’s only at the cost of his emotional and mental wellbeing, it’s all good) and because he WANTS harry to fall in love with the wizarding world, like voldemort did, like snape did, because it will make him easier to manipulate
- GROOMS HARRY TO BECOME A PERSON WHO WILL WILLINGLY DIE FOR ””’THE GREATER GOOD””
- PURPOSEFULLY WITHOLDS INFORMATION FROM HARRY AND KEEPS HIM UNINFORMED SO HE’LL DO WHAT DUMBLEDORE WANTS WHEN DUMBLEDORE WANTS HIM TO DO IT
- tells harry in ootp that he kept the truth from him because HE ACCIDENTALLY ENDED UP CARING ABOUT HARRY. LIKE OH HERE’S THE KID I’VE BEEN PLANNING TO KILL AND HAVE LET LIVE A MISERABLE LOVELESS LIFE IN ORDER TO RIGHT THE WRONG OF THE OTHER BOY I FEEL LIKE I LET DOWN AND I ACCIDENTALLY REALISED HE’S A HUMAN BEING WELL FUCK
- told arabella figg she couldn’t be nice to harry when he went to her house? like what the FUCK?
- after all his lectures and ”’wisdom”’ STILL GOES AFTER THE HALLOWS HIMSELF BECAUSE HE WANTS THE POWER
- literally told harry the only reason he didn’t make him a prefect was because he didn’t want people to think he ””plays favourites”” like he didn’t last minute give gryffindor the house cup like four fuckin years in a row because of harry
- KNEW HE WAS GOING TO DIE AND DIDN’T TELL/PREPARE HARRY FOR THE EMOTIONAL DEVASTATION OF LOSING ANOTHER/HIS LAST FATHER FIGURE AND EVEN MADE HARRY WATCH HIM DIE
- locked sirius up AFTER HE HAD SPENT TWELVE YEARS IN PRISON in the house where he was ABUSED AS A CHILD AND MADE TO FEEL OUTCAST AND UNLOVED and pretty much exacerbated sirius’ arrested development and feeling of worthlessness because he’s dumbledore and dumbledore knows best
- LET SNAPE TEACH AT HOGWARTS FOR 15+ YEARS DESPITE KNOWING FULL WELL HOW HE TREATED STUDENTS JUST BECAUSE HE WANTED TO KEEP HIM CLOSE
- HE IS IN A POSITION OF POWER - ARGUABLY THE POSITION OF POWER - AND USES IT TO MANIPULATE AND EMOTIONALLY TRAUMATISE HARRY AND BATTER HIM INTO A WEAPON TO USE AGAINST VOLDEMORT AT THE COST OF HARRY’S FUCKING CHILDHOOD
and this is NEVER ADDRESSED in the books. Dumbledore is never seen as anything but a wise and noble father figure to Harry. HARRY NAMES HIS SON AFTER THIS MAN WHO MANIPULATED HIM AND LITERALLY WALKED HIM INTO THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE. FUCK dumbledore.